GTS Owners Club

For all GTS GTV GT owners to have a chat
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: swopping my scoot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:59 pm 

Scooter Type: gts super 125
hi all i am thinking of swapping my gts 125 super for a px 125 with a 166 kit on my gts is a 2011 px is a 2003 right thing or wrong .....help

Post subject: Re: swopping my scoot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:13 pm 
I Love Scooters

Scooter Type: 2016 Vespa Primavera & Vespa PX 125
Sorry, let me start by stating the obvious. You're free to choose what you do and what you want.

Having said that....let me share my opinion as someone who has owned a Vespa PX, an LML 4-stroke 4-speed and currently owns a GTS (all 125cc).

I could go into detail as to why the Vespa GTS is better than my two manual-geared scooters I owned in every way (better rider comfort, better pillion comfort, better braking, better handling, better fuel economy, better power (stock 15 hp from a 125), better wheel and tyre options, better road-holding for higher speed travel, better lighting, a front mudguard that doesn't rust, better reliability, etc. - the list goes on...

However there is more to the story than the sum of it's parts...

The Vespa PX is more classic looking and a manual-shifting scooter with a foot-pedal for a rear brake has it's unique thrill-advantages. It's also a collector item that you can 'ride' - however, I do find a Vespa PX on the fringe of being a scooter you can use on a daily basis for any reasonable distances. A PX owner always need to be handy and carry spanners, tools, spare parts, etc. where ever they go. On several occasions for example, I have had to deal with things like tubes bursting, cables snapping (clutch, speedo, throttle), indicators that have a mind-of-their-own when I remove the rear cowls due to flaky connections, along with spending £13 a month extra for synth 2 stroke combined with 55-60 mpg quite frankly starts to cost as much as a car in commuter costs.

Does that make the Vespa PX/LML a bad choice?

Not at all!

If I only went to rallies/meets on the odd occasion or lived five miles from work outside of an inner city, then the PX is fantastic and you can't go wrong. But it all depends on your needs.

Couple of things to consider about that 166cc scooter - chances are, it's still registered as a 125 which means insuring it will be void, as it may not be covered if it's discovered it isn't stock and you haven't declared the engine modification to the DVLA/insurers. It will not make 15hp at the crank as your 125 Super does but it will be as fast. However, it does so because the PX is lighter which means it will feel unstable and it will not have the top end speed of your GTS. You cannot launch the scoot off the line as fast as your GTS automatic as it will do a wheelie if you try to. The fact that it's older means the metal may not be in rust-free or good shape as the metal on the GTS (it is 8 years older) Finally, a 166cc 2-stroke PX will not be as reliable as your 4-stroke water-cooled GTS.

But perhaps your bored with the reliability and near-perfection of the Vespa GT or modernish looks. Maybe that's what it stems from.

Anyway, best of luck. If you're after speed and looks, may I suggest a motorbike instead? (manual-geared and some can reach up to 85 mph on a 125cc - like the Yamaha MT-125)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:59 pm 
“Uncommitted S C”

Scooter Type: 2007 GTV250 & 2014 X10 500
Fantastic summary mate. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:17 am 
I Love Scooters

Scooter Type: gts300, gt200, px200e, pk50
to sum up.... stick with the GTS :D