GTS Owners Club

For all GTS GTV GT owners to have a chat
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:59 pm 
Big Dave

Scooter Type: Beverly 350
I rode a J300 into London rush hour this morning and it ended up shuddering when powering on at low speed after 10 minutes of stop-start-crawl bad traffic.

I was so loving the J300 until that. Surely these things are built to handle bad city traffic, so the clutch shouldn't be overheating (or whatever it is causing this)?

What do you think? It was a pretty bad jam, even for London, but the shuddering got pretty bad.

Is this 'normal' behaviour? Could it be the new clutch (500 miles on it) needs wearing in? Would you take this as bad sign for the J300 model as a whole?

It's been great other than this... It's borrowed, but I was thinking of getting one until this happened...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:29 pm 
I Love Scooters

Scooter Type: GTS 300 super IE gloss black
i would not expect to get clutch shudder on a fairly new bike,
even in a traffic jam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:50 pm 
I Love Scooters

Scooter Type: gts300, gt200, px200e, pk50
having read quite a few reviews about the j300 i've not heard of any one having a problem with the clutch... like yourself i'm also thinking of getting one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:24 am 
Big Dave

Scooter Type: Beverly 350
Sorry I've been spreading my comments over two threads.

Here's my recent J300 thoughts: http://www.gtsownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10057

I'll continue more general comments on the J300 there.

But re. clutch shudder, as I've said in the other thread, the J300 in question is a demo/trainer that's had learners riding the clutch doing figure eights for a lot of its 500 first miles and I've done 200 more including London rush hour, so it's maybe not surprising the clutch is suffering.

It's not something that reviewers could have come across, however, if there *was* a problem with a clutch. I'm doubting they pick a time or location when there is heavy traffic to do their test rides.

I think it's safe to say it shouldn't happen, but it may well not be something that all J300s will do. I'll know more when the first service and clutch fix has been done at the weekend.

Aside from this worry I'm loving the J300 - it's frankly fantastic for it's size (engine and body) - I never thought a 'midi' scooter would work for me, but it's still my main contender for replacing my SRV850 (even with the clutch problem, though I'd rather not be sanding the clutch bell every week, or whatever).

Maybe if I can lose 4 or 5 stone it won't be an issue... hehe